Kuhn’s Fording Covered Bridge


Photo courtesy of the Library of Congress

Kuhn’s Fording Covered Bridge (pictured above) was located northwest of Adamstown at East Berlin on Township Road 552. The two-span Burr truss bridge (a combination of an arch and a multiple kingpost truss design) was built in 1862 at a length of 228 feet. The bridge crossed the Conewago Creek but was destroyed by Hurricane Eloise on Sept. 9, 1975. It was then disassembled and given to Lancaster County to be used for spare parts to repair bridges throughout the county.

Did you know?
Invented in 1804 by Theodore Burr, the Burr arch truss provides a more stable bridge, capable of supporting more weight, than either the arch or the truss alone.


About Author

Jessica Dean

Born and raised in Adams County, Pennsylvania, Jessica and her husband, Troy, created Celebrate Gettysburg magazine in 2007. Before starting the publication, Jessica was the art director for Frederick Magazine, a successful regional publication based in Frederick, Maryland. She was the president for the AIGA Blue Ridge chapter and has won numerous awards for her graphic design. Always eager to give back to the community, Jessica has helped to promote many local activities and has volunteered her design services to a variety of regional nonprofit organizations. She lives in downtown Gettysburg with her family.

Leave A Reply